Pages

Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

From Beyond The Summit


This week's blog is not about the physicality or psychology of climbing mountains.  It's not about technique, endurance, or what sets us apart from the next climber.  It is about something very inspirational and otherworldly that we can experience up there if we're receptive - or more importantly, synchronistically destined for it.  It is, in this case, quite literally about the spirituality of the mountains - that magic which resides naturally and patiently there and waits for us to stop, listen, close our eyes or look around, and receive. 

Who is the third who walks always beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together
But when I look ahead up the white road
There is always another one walking beside you.
Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
I do not know whether a man or woman
But who is that on the other side of you?

- T. S. Eliot, "The Waste Land"

On Monday, May 16, 2011 while scrambling Nihahi Ridge in the Elbow region with my partner Brandon, we discovered a tribute stone placed vertically off the beaten path.  We almost missed it entirely, and I crouched carefully to take a photograph of it.  I drew my hand gently across the gold lettering, impressed at how well it had stood up under the elements.  I spent the next few hours ice-axing through greasy snow wondering what had happened to this young man.  Had he died fourteen years ago at the tender age of twenty-one while scrambling the ridge?  The mountains are crowded with whispery testimonies of summit successes found, disappointments taken back home, personal problems solved through contemplation, but also of lives lost; their loved ones left behind to work through grief and resolution.  These voices linger in the wind, carrying the story of their passing.
   

When I returned to Calgary, I could not shake the desire to find out more about Gavin.  I felt greatly saddened, but certain that there was something significant in this discovery.  I'm an adept researcher, but I could not find anything outside of his obituary (stating he was taken suddenly) and a Legacy.com guestbook in his honor.  I signed the guestbook, offered my condolences, then privately hoped someone would contact me.

And for the second time, someone did.

Gavin's best friend indicated that he had not been back to Nihahi Ridge since placing the memorial following his dear friend's passing.  He was thankful that the tribute was still holding up, and believed that his buddy (a talented guitarist) would be in a professional band today had he survived the fire which claimed his life in 1997.

I looked away from the monitor, and folded my hands together in my lap.  Now I understood.  All the pieces suddenly moved towards one another.  With the current Alberta wildfire situation, and serious state of those in the Northern Alberta Slave Lake area who have lost much, and continue to assess the damage, a voice reached out to me on Monday.  In the words of  legendary mountaineer Reinhold Messner, who believes strongly in the spirits of the mountain ("The Third Man") and has often been criticized for it: "leads you out of the impossible.

Hear me.  I am Gavin.  Please pay attention.

                     - Photo of a young Gavin Cheffins, as posted on Legacy.com

Fire.  It is a natural occurrence on a seasonal basis around the globe, but it is also unnatural.  It keeps us warm, but leaves us cold and frightened when out of control.  In its wake we experience devastation, loss, disbelief, but it is followed by renewal and regrowth.  In previously scorched forests, we hike past the skeletal remains of ancient trees - the rich and darkened soil beneath our feet peppered with boldly colored flowers and newborn trees stretching their lime-green limbs towards the sunlight.  Sometimes you can even sense the ghosts of wildlife galloping through or around you as if they were still alive.     

It takes time to get over the ravages of fire.  It takes caring.  It takes involvement.  And wherever possible, it takes prevention.  We should be supportive of others on a daily basis regardless of whether or not they are in crisis, but for the victims of the Alberta wildfires, please take some time out of your day to assist.  The Red Cross has a relief effort on their behalf: http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=39285&tid=001    

To Gavin Raymond Cheffins, thank you so very much for reaching out from beyond the summit to remind me of one of the top reasons I continue to climb mountains ... for the spirituality of it.  I hope that your message designed through my words will lead someone out of the impossible through fire awareness and  prevention.  God bless and keep you! 



Note:  All images and details related to Gavin Cheffins provided in this blog are public knowledge/access, with the exception of the facts that Gavin died in a fire (not on Nihahi Ridge), and that he was a very talented guitarist.  Thank you to his best friend, whose identity (plus a few details) I wish to keep private out of respect.     


8 comments:

  1. gav was an extremely smart boy..we went to elementary together..junior high..play baseball..he was a great guy.happy.in the end..I was devasted to hear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gavin was truly wonderful, I was lucky to have been friends with him after sharing a laugh on our first day of junior high school. This is a very touching post and I am happy to have stumbled upon it while thinking of my old friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad you were able to re-experience some special memories because of the post. Thanks for sharing that with me.

      Delete
    2. As my family and I celebrate Gavin's birthday today, I can't believe I came across this post. -Madison Cheffins

      Delete
    3. Madison, thank you. I wanted to make the experience of encountering Gavin's plaque count for something out here. I hope I've accomplished that. Kind regards to you and your family!

      Delete
  3. As a child, I watched my Dad make this stone and carry it up Nihahi Ridge in tribute to my big brother. As a family, we wanted to remember Gavin where he was at his happiest. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across Gavin's stone today on the way down from my happy place. I was moved to tears by this incredible tribute from his loved ones. Peace to you Gavin and to your family and friends. Thank you Laurel for being able to write so eloquently of your experience, and mine......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by and sharing that with us! I'm even further inspired by the number of people who continue to encounter and be touched by this tribute!

      Delete